Friday 14 December 2012

The High Life


 Dave’s fiance Nicole arrived in Leeds and so we welcomed her with a High Tea. 
I have to admit I cheated with the baking for this event. Perhaps it isn’t cheating but I used a cake mix from the store that you add an egg and milk to. I just didn’t have the time on the day to get everything done, that’s my excuse. It’s got to be the first time I’ve ever not made from scratch, but really, it made the whole thing a lot less stressful and pressured in the short time I had. And they still tasted fab. Lessons from using ready made cake mix though...
1. Read the package carefully! I bought extra icing sugar without realising it was included.
2. Be aware that the size/number of cakes it makes may not be what you’re used to. I’m used to making big cupcakes, but splitting the mix into the given number of cases meant they were, (in my eyes) very small, which was slightly disappointing. So I made fewer cakes of a larger size.
We did have some fully home-made goodies though. Doug made scones, the Canadian way. Well, I don't actually know if it’s typical Canadian, but the recipe is different to my usual one.
Beth set up the room with bunting and our various vintage tea cups. I really like the eclectic feel. And we made a variety of sandwiches...egg salad, smoked salmon, cucumber and ham cut into triangles to make them really fancy. 
If only we dined like this every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment